Need to Run Background Checks in California?
Hire Image provides comprehensive and certified California background checks including the following:
- Employment background checks
- Criminal background checks
- Drug screening tests
- Educational verifications
- Driving record searches
California State Laws
Ban the Box/Fair Chance Hiring Rules
Currently, California employers with five or more employees are prohibited from asking about an applicant’s criminal records or conviction history until that applicant has received a conditional offer of employment. Then, and only then, may an employer inquire as to the applicant’s Criminal History. The Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative prohibits employers located or doing business in the City of Los Angeles with ten or more employees from inquiring about an applicant’s criminal history until a conditional offer of employment has been made. The San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance prohibits employers located or doing business in the City of San Francisco with five or more employees from inquiring about an applicant’s criminal history until a conditional offer of employment has been made.
Credit History Bans
Currently, California employers (except some financial institutions) are prohibited from obtaining a consumer Credit Report.
Medical or Recreational Marijuana Laws
Currently, California allows the use, possession, and cultivation of Marijuana by individuals of any age for medical purposes with the recommendation from a doctor to use medical marijuana. Employers are specifically not required to permit or accommodate the use or possession of marijuana in the workplace. Persons age 21 and older may grow, possess, share, and use Marijuana for recreational use at a private home. Use in public places or while driving a car remains illegal.
Salary History Bans
- may not ask, either orally or in writing, personally or through an agent, for an applicant’s prior salary history, including compensation and benefits needs and requirements;
- may not consider such information, if it is learned, in determining whether to offer employment to that applicant, and if so, what compensation package should be offered; and
- must provide a pay scale for the position being applied for upon reasonable request of the
San Francisco also has its own Salary History Ban prohibiting employers from asking about, relying on, or retaliating against an employee who won’t provide, salary history.
See the Hire Image Resource Library for more information and to access helpful, up-to-date resource guides for your background and drug screening needs.
California Access Fees
- California County Criminal Search Access Fees
- California Statewide Criminal Search Access Fee – No Statewide Access Fee
- California MVR Access Fee
Easily request our online California background checks 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Fast turnaround times. Simple and affordable.